The Statue of Unity is a testimonial of the life of Sardar Patel, a role model of unity and statesmanship. The tallest statue of the world enjoys a beautifully scenic location facing the Sardar Sarovar Dam, 3.2 kilometers away. This Huge statue stands on the islet of Sadhu-Bet in River Narmada, at Kevadia, Rajpipla in the State of Gujarat, with the magnificent Vindhyachal and Satpuda Mountain Ranges in the backdrop. The statue is fast becoming one of the country’s top tourist attractions.
The project was first announced in 2010 and the construction of the statue started in October 2013 by Larsen & Toubro, who received the contract for ₹2,989 crores (US$420 million) from Center Government.
The statue was designed by Indian sculptor Ram V. Sutar and inaugurated by Indian Prime minister Narendra Modi on 31 October 2018, on the 143rd anniversary of Sardar Patel’s birth.
The Statue Of Unity Location
The Statue of Unity has located 3.5 km away from a town known as Kevadiya in Gujarat.
The statue of unity height
The total height of the structure is 790 feet, with a base of 190 feet and the statue of 182 m (597 ft). Chosen the hight of 182 m was to match the number of seats in the Gujarat Legislative Assembly.
Construction & Costing
It took 57 months to complete in addition of 15 months for planning, 40 months for construction, and two months for handing over by the consortium. The total cost of the project was estimated to be about ₹2,063 crores (equivalent to ₹25 billion or US$360 million in 2018) by the government.
How it compares with other renowned statues
At 182 meters, the Statue of Unity stands as the world’s tallest statue. As a matter of fact the height was picked as ‘182’ meters to match the total number of Assembly constituencies in the state of Gujarat.
The statue of unity compares with other statue:
- Ushiku Daibutsu in Japan: Ushiku Daibutsu means ‘Great Buddha in Ushiku’ in Japanese. The construction of the statue was completed in 2002. The statue is completely made of bronze and was built in the light of Shinran to commemorate his birth, founder of the Jodo Shinshu. It stands 120 meters tall including a 10-meter base and 10-meter lotus platform.
- Statue of Liberty in USA: The 93-meter tall Statue of Liberty (Liberty Enlightening the World; similarly in French: La Liberté éclairant le monde) was uniquely designed by French sculptor Frédéric Auguste Bartholdi and built by Gustave Eiffel. The statue in Manhattan was dedicated on October 28, 1886.
- Spring Temple of Buddha in China: The massive copper Buddha houses a monastery. It stands atop a tall lotus-shaped pedestal, giving it a total height of 153 meters. However The statue was built after the Taliban destroyed the Bamiyan Buddhas in Afghanistan.
- Homeland-Mother in Russia: The Motherland Calls, also called Homeland-Mother, is a statue in Mamayev Kurgan in Volgograd, Russia, 50 miles from the Volga River. It commemorates the Battle of Stalingrad. The statue was completely built in 1967 and has a total height of 85 meters. Uniquely The statue measures 52 meters high and additionally the sword in the hand of the statue measures about 33 meters.
- Christ the Redeemer in Brazil: The statue is located of course at the top of Corcovado mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. Moreover Crist The Redeemer was built using soapstone & reinforced concrete. Having a height of 38 meters, the statue is a symbol of Christianity across the world. It is also the cultural icon of Rio de Janeiro and Brazil.
For More Facts & Information Do Visit – Intresting Facts & Information About The Statue Of Unity